Who doesn't love tacos? We tend to have a taco night about once a week and like to change it up now and then. One night the kids wanted tacos, but we didn't have any tortillas or taco shells on hand. However, we had a head of lettuce, which worked great for making Taco Lettuce Wraps! This is also a good way to use up taco night leftovers.
At Macaroni KID, we skip the fluff and get straight to the good stuff. No need to scroll through pages of unnecessary content — our recipes are easy to find. Now let's get cooking!
Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Water (per taco seasoning package instructions)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Shredded cheddar or cheese blend
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
- Diced onion
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Sliced lime
- Brown the meat and drain, if needed. Mix in the taco seasoning and water. Add the beans and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Prep the lettuce leaves (leaving them whole, rinse and pat dry) and other optional ingredients.
- To serve, spoon the meat and bean mixture into lettuce leaves and top as desired. Fold up and enjoy.
- Filling can be prepared ahead and quickly reheated.
- Double up the lettuce leaves to make them more "durable."
Jennifer Hill is the publisher of Macaroni KID Fremont, Calif.